The name Howley is taken from Howley Hall which was predominate feature of this area in the 17th Century. The hall was built during the 1580s by Sir John Savile, a member of the great Yorkshire landowners, the Savile family. The house was besieged during the Civil War in 1643 before the Battle of Adwalton Moor but appeared to have sustained no serious damage. It continued to be occupied during the 17th century but fell into disrepair. Howley Hall was finally demolished in 1730, although, many ruins exist including the cellars of its great hall.
The Consecration Meeting was held on the 28th September 1928. There were nineteen Founder Members of which seventeen were from the Nelson of the Nile Lodge No 264. which is rightly known as the Mother Lodge.
Howley Lodge started off at the Freemason’s Hall, Park Road Batley and moved to Blenheim House, Batley in January 1935. The Lodge is part owner of the building along with Scarborough Lodge No 1214 and Trafalgar Lodge No 971.
The ritual used by the Lodge is the Old York Working and a visitor on his first time to the Lodge will be surprised at the many variations to anything they have previously witnessed.
On the 12th May 1999, the fourth candidate to be initiated into Howley Lodge W Bro Walter Herman Booth PPSGW celebrated 70 years in Freemasonry . The actual date of his initiation being 8th May 1929. W Bro Booth would have celebrated his 100th Birthday in June 1999 but unfortunately died on the 6th April, 73 days short of that birthday.
W Bro Basil Toplis has been the Lodge’s only Grand Officer. He was also a Founder Member of the Lodge.
One tradition that has not changed is the dress for the Regular Lodge Meeting which is Dinner Jackets.